Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mentality of Excess

Our society is plagued with a mentality of excess. Bigger is better. More is better. Not only is this misleading, it's downright dangerous.

Look what super-sizing has done to our country. Obesity rates are at an all-time high. Greed and gluttony make great bedfellows, and Americans are jumping (waddling?) on the bandwagon in droves, like very fluffy sheep to the slaughter--a slaughter in the form of life-altering and life-threatening illnesses brought on by such unhealthy eating habits.

This seems bizarre to me. I can't eat a whole sandwich in one sitting (without feeling stuffed), let alone a super-sized meal with a sandwich, jumbo fry, and half-gallon-sized drink. Where do people put all that food and drink?

If our stomachs are supposed to be the size of our fists, no wonder we are overweight! And food-related industries all over are more than happy to keep piling it on (in) and raking in the money while we simultaneously pad the bankrolls of the medical profession and the pharmaceutical companies. And keep the funeral directors' schedules packed.

I can't help thinking, What a destructive cycle for the temple of God.

I know for me it takes complete mental restructuring to get an accurate view of this whole picture. And it's coming, slowly but surely. It's taking a lot of prayer, a lot of fleshing it all out in words as I write it all down to see what I think and what I'm learning.

It's good to stay teachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment