Tuesday, November 23, 2010

45: The Might to Write, and to Protest Slavery Thinking

I may have mentioned before that I'm reading Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones (again). I had forgotten how inspiring her writings are, and the fact that this was her first book is pretty amazing. Funny how it isn't outdated in the least even though it came out in the 80's. The principles are timeless.

The great thing about writing is that it transcends time, age, season, personality, and situation. It heals, it soothes, it expresses, it rejuvenates, it validates all of us. Not surprisingly, I'm finding such expression to be critically important in this TW journey.

Something that really weighs on me (no pun intended) is the way people constantly refer to some foods as sinful, or sinfully good, or the way they mention that something is unfortunately not fat-free. As though anything with sugar, or fat, or carbs, or whatever else that might be delicious must, by virtue of its lovely taste, be destructive for our bodies (and subsequently for our weight management plans). Well, folks, I'm going out on a limb here, but in my opinion, this is just plain slavery thinking! And I, for one, refuse to be enslaved to ANYTHING save for Christ alone!

I see no reason to discriminate outside one's own personal taste preferences (or medical restrictions) to dub one food righteous and another sinful. God made food to taste delicious, and He made us with taste buds for a reason! I believe it was just another way for us to enjoy His lovely creation. Everything in moderation. Eat between 0 and 5, simple as that.

And with that, I am heading to the kitchen to get the bacon cheeseburgers out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment