Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Few Tips I've Found Helpful (for me and others)

I thought I would include a few tips I shared with my friend, in case I need a reminder later. :)

1. If you aren't hungry, don't eat.
2. If your tummy growls, give it something, if only a few bites (that is actually better, anyway).
3. Eat exactly what your body is asking for, whether it be fruit, a veggie, a brownie, some kind of meat, or a piece of candy. Just eat a small amount of it.
4. A good rule of thumb (haha) is the fist principle. The human stomach is "supposed" to be about the size of your balled-up fist. Most of us have tummies that are stretched out way beyond that, which is why we can "hold" larger meals. But you've probably noticed that when you've gone for a while without overeating, your tummy "shrinks". All it's really doing is going back down to the size it's supposed to be! :)
5. Drink plenty of water, but don't obsess over how much. I drink whatever I want, which is generally either sweet tea, Pepsi, or Gatorade, but sometimes water with a slice of some kind of fruit (lime, orange, lemon, strawberry, etc.). What I've found is that the more I listen to my body's signals and eat small portions, the more my energy picks back up, the more I want to exercise, and the more my natural thirst for water comes back, so it all works together, each being a cause and an effect in turn.

1 comment: